This session about the importance of keeping a sketchbook was full to the brim with pictures, examples, stories from his own adventures as an illustrator, his writing process, and lots of wonderful advice!
Some highlights from the session
- I draw in my sketchbook every day and do a lot of practice drawing. That's how you get better!
- A sketchbook is your private space where you can screw up and make mistakes.
- Be absolutely authentic. That's the best advice I can give you.
- Every one of you has the germ of some really amazing idea.
- Do not go in with a buddy who does writing or illustrating. Don't offer a package of the two of you together on a book. The exception to this rule? If you do the writing/illustrating yourself
- Going on location to research a book is the only way to get certain details.
- You gotta trust yourself